Having braces will require that you give up extremely hard, sticky, and high sugar foods. These foods can get caught on the braces, bend wires, loosen cement and pull the braces off and/or cause cavities and permanent white marks on the teeth. Soft foods or foods cut into small pieces are much better for your teeth and for your braces. You will also need to spend a few extra minutes cleaning your braces after meals. For the most part, you’ll find braces will not cramp your style. You will still have fun. You will still be able to sing, play your musical instrument, smile, play sports and of course, kiss. You can even make a fashion statement by having your orthodontist add color to your braces. Your friends will be accustomed to you in braces more quickly than you think.
Foods and habits to avoid with braces:
- Hard, chewy candies – Chewing gum, Starburst, Skittles, Caramel
- Pretzels, pizza crust, baguettes, bagels, Doritos
- Nuts, popcorn, beef jerky
- When eating apples or pears, cut it in pieces and chew with the back teeth
- No nail- biting, crunching ice cubes or chewing pens, pencils, or pen caps